GENERAL MCCLELLAN’S FIRST HEADQUARTERS
AKA: ANNA JARVIS BIRTHPLACE (Birth Place of Mother’s Day) This wooden two-story structure was built in 1854 by Granville Jarvis and occupied by him and his family for eleven years through one of American history’s most exciting periods. His wife, Ann Marie Reeves Jarvis, was instrumental in saving thousands of lives by teaching women in her Mothers Friendship Clubs the basics of nursing and sanitation which she had learned from her famous physician brother James Reeves, M.D. The house became a focal point of the Civil War when General George B. McClellan used it as his headquarters and his troops were encamped across from the house in what is now Ocean Pearl Felton Historic Park.
Grafton, WV 26354