WVU’s Fall Family Weekend
Join the Mountaineer Parents Club for a Fun-Filled Weekend
Wondering how your child’s classes are going and where they hang out during their free time? Hop in the car and head to West Virginia University’s campus this weekend, September 27-29, for a first-hand view of a day in the life of your son or daughter’s college experience.
The WVU Mountaineer Parents Club is kicking off its annual Fall Family Weekend starting Friday, September 27th through Sunday afternoon. You can take a tour through campus, become a student and sit in on a class, ride the PRT and dine at one of the many restaurants near both the Downtown and Evansdale campus. Plus, make sure to use our Mountaineer Deals when you’re dining around town!
Don’t forget to stop by the WVU Book Exchange and pick up some WVU souvenirs to take home–after all, you’re a Mountaineer fan now! Check out the events you won’t want to miss throughout the weekend, below:
Friday, September 27
- Mountaineer Welcome Stop at 4:30 – 7:00pm: Parents can stop at the Recreation Center on campus to check in, meet up with your student(s), and grab a popular Flying WV Cookie. You’ll have the opportunity to take photos and speak to campus representatives.
- Zip-Line Canopy Tour happening all day at the WVU Outdoor Education Center. The Adventure WV canopy tour is comprised of 3 zip lines, an aerial bridge, and a tandem rappel station to exit the course.
- The Watts Museum – “Manpower, Minepower: The Evolution and Impact of Coal Mining Machines” from 1:00pm – 4:00pm in room 125 of the Mineral Resources Building. Explore the evolution and impact of coal mining machines in West Virginia. Learn more about the museum by visiting them online.
- Seeing Stars at WVU–Dynamic Earth at 6, 7, and 8:00pm: Head Downtown as the WVU Planetarium and Observatory welcomes families to ride along on swirling oceans and wind currents, dive into the heart of a monster hurricane, come face-to-face with sharks and gigantic whales and fly into roiling volcanoes.
- Women’s Soccer at 7:00pm: The Mountaineers host Iowa State at Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium. Make sure to grab a discounted ticket and cheer on the ladies!
- WVUp All Night at 7:00pm-2:00am: Bring your parents to the Mountainlair’s WVUp All Night and make a game night out of it! Families will compete against other families in a game show. (Come out Saturday night, too!)
Saturday, September 28
- Mountaineer Welcome Stop at 9:00am-12:00pm: Parents can’t make it to Friday’s welcome center? No worries! Stop by the Mountainlair on the Downtown Campus on Saturday and make sure to get the latest activities happening throughout the day and score some cool giveaways!
- Academic Speed Dating at 10:00am-12:00pm: Come to the Evansdale Crossing on Evansdale campus and check out the mini-lectures provided by WVU faculty and staff. Get all the lectures taking place and learn how you can sign up for one, here!
- Fall Family FoodFest and Block Party from 12:30pm – 3:00pm on the Life Sciences Green Space. Families, fun and food trucks! Join us for a great time meeting WVU Administrators, including President Gee, and other Mountaineer families in a Fall Family Fun Block Party!
- Want more outdoor adventure? There’s always time for MORE! fun in Greater Morgantown. Make sure you get your discounted offer on outdoor activities throughout Fall Family Weekend! Book your adventure here.
- Fall Family Weekend 5k at 9:00am: Campus Recreation is teaming up with WVU Fraternity and Sorority Life to sponsor the inaugural Family Fun Run 5K! Registration costs $20 and includes a t-shirt and benefits development scholarships and the Circle of Sisterhood Foundation for Fraternity and Sorority Life.
- Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources Cookout at 11:00am-2:00pm: All Statler College WVU students and their families are welcome to join staff and faculty at the Statler College for a BBQ catered by Mario’s Fishbowl. Best part? No RSVP required!
- The Watts Museum “Manpower, Minepower: The Evolution and Impact of Coal Mining Machines” at 1:00pm-4:00pm: Want to explore the evolution of coal mining machines? You can at the campuses Mineral Resources Building.
- Women’s Volleyball at 1pm at the Coliseum: Cheer on the Mountaineers against the Oklahoma Sooners! You can grab a discounted ticket coupon on Friday or Saturday at the Welcome Stop. You can also go to this link to order your tickets online using the discount code: WVUParents. WVU Students are admitted free with their WVU Student ID.
- Seeing Stars at WVU – Einstein’s Gravity Playlist at 6pm, 7pm, and 8pm. Head downtown as the WVU Planetarium and Observatory welcomes families to explore the ripples in space – time known as gravitational waves. Albert Einstein first predicted the existence of gravitational waves in 1916, and a century later, scientists detected these waves using incredibly precise laser technology here on Earth.
- WVUp All Night from 7:00pm – 2:00am in the Mountainlair. Come back for round two of the nationally renowned student program, WVUp All Night.
- Men’s Soccer at 7:00pm. Cheer on the Mountaineers as they host the University of Pennsylvania at the Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium. You can also go to this link to order your tickets online using the discount code: WVUParents.
Sunday, September 29
- Breakfast with Students at 10:00-2:00pm: Make sure to stop by Cafe Evansdale, Summit Cafe or Boreman Bistro, and grab a bite to eat before hitting the road.
- Fall Ring Day Ceremony at 11:30am: Head to the Erickson Alumni Center for your Ring Day ceremony, which is held each fall and spring to present those students who have attained junior status. Plus, you’ll get to write your name in the Ring Day book–a historical record of those who received class rings.
To learn more about Fall Family Weekend and how to get involved with Mountaineer Parents Club, visit the website.
Make sure to tag us in your photos this weekend by using #VisitMountaineerCountry and #MorgantownMoment for a chance to be featured!
Interested in attending more than one event this weekend? Stay overnight at one of the many hotels and lodgings in Morgantown. Click to reserve your stay.
Contact us to request to contribute to our blog.