WVU Move-in Weekend Family Activities
Begin your journey as a new Mountaineer by exploring your home away from home.
Please note that the activities listed below may be affected by COVID-19. Find more information on the Visit Mountaineer Country Community Resources Guide During Coronavirus.
Welcome to Mountaineer Country! You have arrived on campus, unloaded your belongings in your dorm room, and you’re ready to discover the joys of your new surroundings. To make the transition a little smoother (and more fun!), we’ve put together a guide to help you dive into Morgantown with your family and new friends during the move-in weekend!
New to Morgantown? New to Morgantown? Check out our WVU Virtual New Student Orientation page for local area guides, shopping information, and collegiate inspiration from Instagram!
Don’t forget to download the free Visit Mountaineer Country Trip Planner App to easily find local hotels, restaurants, and places to stock up on school supplies.
Places to Eat
Morgantown offers a variety of cuisines throughout its city streets and country roads. Work through the restaurant scene as you become a “local,” and taste all the options before deciding your favorite spot!
- Boston Beanery – Bar and grill patterned after old Boston pubs from the 1800’s
- Black Bear Burritos (Evansdale) – Made-to-order burritos, ethnic cuisines and local music and art fill this Appalachian spot.
- Buffalo Wild Wings – Your favorite wing spot for game time, or anytime!
- Nonno Carlo Deli and Italian Imports – Authentic Italian deli sandwiches and desserts! Stop in for lunch or shop their selection of imported goods.
- Ogawa Japanese Restaurant – One of Morgantown’s sushi spots, complete with Japanese and Korean dishes.
- Sugar Bar Coffee & Sweets – Morgantown’s newest sweet-treat location!
- Pizza Al’s – Top-quality pizzas, with multiple locations throughout Mountaineer Country!
- Taziki’s Mediterranean Cafe – Fresh Mediterranean-inspired cuisine that is locally owned and operated.
Health Science Campus:
- Kegler’s – A festive tavern serving classic bar food with sports playing on numerous TVs.
- Los Mariachis – Craving chips and salsa? Stop in for Mexican cuisines in Morgantown and Granville.
- Mountaineer Roasting Co. – Stop in for a freshly-baked breakfast item and locally sourced coffee, only minutes from Milan Puskar Stadium.
- Don’t forget to bring along their Mountaineer Deal to get your coffee for free!
- Oryza Asian Grill – Build-your-own bowl of Asian flavors at two locations, Evansdale and Granville.
- Terra Cafe – Made-from-scratch pastries and entrees, with farm-fresh ingredients.
- Wing’s Ole – Buffalo wings, Mexican-inspired fast food and sandwiches.
- Almost Heaven Bar & Grill – Build your own burger or enjoy all of your favorite pub-fare right in the heart of downtown.
- Blue Moose Cafe – Stop in for a mid-day caffeine boost, paired with savory sandwiches and sweets.
- Chestnut Brew Works – This local hotspot is known for its great selection of craft beers brewed in-house.
- Fresh Mint Indian Grill – Enjoy an authentic Indian meal made to order from quality ingredients.
- Don’t forget to bring their Mountaineer Deal!
- Iron Horse Tavern – Delicious twists on American favorites, complete with various drinks – check out their brunch options!
- Lavender Cafe – An authentic Taiwanese restaurant featuring classic Chinese dishes, sushi, and bubble tea
- Lotsa Stone Fired Pizza – Known for their Build-Your-Own-Pizza bar – open late for those late nights of studying!
- Looking for a great deal? Check out the Lotsa Mountaineer Deal!
- Mario’s Fishbowl (Downtown) – A 1950’s Morgantown gem filled with tradition, frosty beers (aka Fishbowls), great sandwiches, and mouth-watering chicken wings!
- Mountain State Brewing Co. – Stone-fired pizzas made with locally sourced ingredients. Stop by for trivia nights and live music.
- Don’t forget to save their Mountaineer Deal before you go!
- Quantum Bean Coffee – This locally-owned coffee spot features specialty coffee blends that are farm-to-cup fresh from the hills of West Virginia.
- Table 9 – Located just off the Monongahela River Rail Trail, Table 9 offers elevated dining with a rotating menu of entrees to choose from.
- Check out their Mountaineer Deal to save on your next meal.
- The Grind – Hot coffee made fresh every day, along with ice-cold favorites to beat the sun.
- Yama Japanese Restaurant – Find authentic sushi, ramen and noodle bowls at this family-owned restaurant.
- Zeke’s Breakfast and Bakes – A daily array of freshly-baked goods, coffee, and a full breakfast menu available until 3pm!
Want to take in that fresh, mountain air? Choose from any of these restaurants on our Outdoor Dining Guide for delicious food, great times and even greater views of Morgantown.
Things to Do
Jump into these fun-filled locations to enjoy quality time in Mountaineer Country!
- Adventure WV – Zip through the trees with the WV Outdoor Education Zip Canopy Tour! Use their Mountaineer Deal to save while you soar!
- Defense in Depth – A 20,000 sq. ft. first-in-class shooting facility that offers training and classes.
- Gritstone Climbing and Fitness – With more than 9,000 square feet of roped surface and over 100 roped routes extending up to 49 feet high, Gritstone is a state-of-the-art climbing gym with terrain for all levels of climbers.
- Launchpad Trampoline Park – Indoor trampoline park for jumping fun! Visit for a workout class or to release your energy!
- Mainstage Morgantown – A fun stop for listening to live music and bands!
- Monongalia County Ballpark – Root, root, root for the Black Bears! Stop in on one of their themed game nights for classic baseball fun.
- Morgantown Escape Room – Will you be able to unlock all of the clues in time? Grab your friends or family and take advantage of their Mountaineer Deal!
- Mountain Man Axe Throwing – Forget throwing darts—embrace life as a Mountaineer with ax throwing at this indoor range! Check out their Mountaineer Deal to save while you play.
- Skydive Mountaineer – Embark on a 10,500′ Tandem Freefall at 120mph with the help of highly trained professionals. Save their Mountaineer Deal to receive an extra souvenir from your tandem experience.
- The WOW! Factory – Create your own pottery masterpiece – maybe even the perfect coffee mug for your dorm room! See this Mountaineer Deal to receive 20 percent off a single-item pottery purchase.
- WVU PRT – West Virginia University’s own personal rapid transit system – become familiar with one of the most effective ways to travel throughout the University’s campus!
- WVU Planetarium – Search the skies over Mountaineer Country and stop by for a show at the WVU Planetarium, right in the middle of campus.
Get a glimpse of local living when you stop by any of our area’s Farmers Markets. Each market offers locally grown produce and artisan goods, including handmade art from local crafters and small businesses.
Places to See
Catch a glimpse of some of the best sights around campus. These eye-catching spots would be a great place to admire, and maybe snap a photo — cue the selfie stick!
- Cooper’s Rock Overlook – Visit this hiking spot right outside of Morgantown and take in the beautiful sunset!
- WVU Core Arboretum – Want to immerse yourself in nature right on the Evansdale campus? Stop here for hiking, bird-watching or a picnic!
- West Virginia Botanic Garden – Choose between easy and intermediate walking paths through lush forests and gardens.
- Mon River Rail Trail – Hop on the trail, just a short walk from the Downtown Campus and follow the Monongahela River as it winds its way through Morgantown.
- Monongalia Arts Center – Offering two galleries, the Benedum Gallery, which hosts a new exhibit every month, and the Robert M. Davis Gallery for Emerging Artists, you can appreciate both West Virginia and international art presentations.
- WVU Coliseum – Located on the Evansdale Campus, become familiar with where you’ll be cheering on the WVU Men’s and Women’s Basketball teams!
Worried about how to travel to these amazing Mountaineer Country locations? Check out these Transportation Tips to learn the best ways to get around town.
Having fun while exploring the area during Move-in Weekend? Capture your exciting moments with a photo, and share it with us using #VisitMountaineerCountry! Happy adventuring!
Interested in attending more than one event this weekend? Stay overnight at one of the many hotels and lodgings in Morgantown. Click to reserve your stay.
Contact us to request to contribute to our blog.