WVU Move-in Weekend Family Activities
Begin your journey as a new Mountaineer by exploring your home away from home.
Please note that the activities listed below may be affected by COVID-19. Find more information on the Visit Mountaineer Country Community Resources Guide During Coronavirus.
Welcome to Mountaineer Country! You have arrived on campus, unloaded your belongings in your dorm room, and you’re ready to discover the joys of your new surroundings. To make the transition a little smoother (and more fun!), we’ve put together a guide to help you dive into Morgantown with your family and new friends during the move-in weekend!
New to Morgantown? Check out our WVU Virtual New Student Orientation page for local area guides, shopping information, collegiate-inspiration from Instagram and a chance to win free pizza every week of the academic year with our Ultimate WVU Student Giveaway!
Places to Eat
Morgantown offers a variety of cuisines throughout its city streets and country roads. Work through the restaurant scene as you become a “local,” and taste all the options before deciding your favorite spot!
- Boston Beanery – Bar and grill patterned after old Boston pubs from the 1800’s
- Black Bear Burritos (Evansdale) – Made-to-order burritos, ethnic cuisines and local music and art fill this Appalachian spot
- Check out their Mountaineer Deal to save during your next visit!
- Ogawa Japanese Restaurant – One of Morgantown’s sushi spots, complete with Japanese and Korean dishes.
- Pizza Al’s – Top quality pizzas, with multiple locations throughout Mountaineer Country!
Health Science Campus:
- Kegler’s – A festive tavern serving classic bar food with sports playing on numerous TVs.
- Terra Cafe – Made-from-scratch pastries and entrees, with farm-fresh ingredients.
- Los Mariachis – Craving chips and salsa? Stop in for Mexican cuisines in Morgantown and Granville.
- Wing’s Ole – Buffalo wings, Mexican-inspired fast food and sandwiches.
- Cairo 2 Go – Offering traditional Egyptian recipes with the convenience of fast food.
- Oryza Asian Grill – Build-your-own bowl of Asian flavors at two locations, Evansdale and Granville.
- Iron Horse Tavern – Delicious twists on American favorites, complete with various drinks – check out their brunch options!
- Check out their great Mountaineer Deal to save during your next visit!
- Lavender Cafe – An authentic Taiwanese restaurant featuring classic Chinese dishes, sushi, and bubble tea
- Lotsa Stone Fired Pizza – Known for their Build-Your-Own-Pizza bar – open late for those late nights of studying!
- Looking for a great deal? Check out the Lotsa Mountaineer Deal!
- Mario’s Fishbowl (Downtown) – A 1950’s Morgantown gem filled with tradition, frosty beers (aka Fishbowls), great sandwiches, and mouth-watering chicken wings!
- The Grind – Hot coffee made fresh every day, along with ice-cold favorites to beat the sun.
- Blue Moose Cafe – Stop in for an mid-day caffeine boost, paired with savory sandwiches and sweets.
- Yama Japanese Restaurant – Find authentic sushi, ramen and noodle bowls at this family-owned restaurant.
Want to take in that fresh, mountain air? Choose from any of these restaurants on our Outdoor Dining Guide for delicious food, great times and even greater views of Morgantown.
Things to Do
Jump into these fun-filled locations to enjoy quality time in Mountaineer Country!
- Adventure WV – Zip through the trees with the WV Outdoor Education Zip Canopy Tour! Use their Mountaineer Deal to save while you soar!
- Morgantown Escape Room – Will you be able to unlock all of the clues in time? Grab your friends or family and take advantage of their Mountaineer Deal!
- Mountain Man Axe Throwing – Forget throwing darts; embrace life as a Mountaineer with axe throwing at this indoor range! Check out their Mountaineer Deal to save while you play.
- Mainstage Morgantown – A fun stop for listening to live music and bands!
- Launchpad Trampoline Park – Indoor trampoline park for jumping fun! Visit for a work out class or to release your energy! Want to meet up with new friends? Check out their Mountaineer Deal and save!
- Monongalia County Ballpark – Root, root, root for the Black Bears! Stop in on one of their themed game nights for classic baseball fun.
- You can get game-day ready with this Mountaineer Deal for West Virginia Black Bear merchandise.
- The WOW! Factory – Create your own pottery masterpiece – maybe even the perfect coffee mug for your dorm room! See this Mountaineer Deal to receive 20 percent off a single-item pottery purchase.
- WVU PRT – West Virginia University’s own personal rapid transit system – become familiar with one of the most effective ways to travel throughout the University’s campus!
Places to See
Catch a glimpse of some of the best sights around campus. These eye-catching spots would be a great place to admire, and maybe snap a photo — cue the selfie stick!
- Cooper’s Rock Overlook – Visit this hiking spot right outside of Morgantown and take in the beautiful sunset!
- WVU Core Arboretum – Want to immerse yourself in nature right on the Evansdale campus? Stop here for hiking, bird-watching or a picnic!
- West Virginia Botanic Garden – Choose between easy and intermediate walking paths through lush forests and gardens.
- Mon River Rail Trail – Hop on the trail, just a short walk from the Downtown Campus and follow the Monongahela River as it winds its way through Morgantown.
- Monongalia Arts Center – Offering two galleries, the Benedum Gallery, which hosts a new exhibit every month, and the Robert M. Davis Gallery for Emerging Artists, you can appreciate both West Virginia and international art presentations.
- WVU Coliseum – Located on the Evansdale Campus, become familiar with where you’ll be cheering on the WVU Men’s and Women’s Basketball teams!
Worried about how to travel to these amazing Mountaineer Country locations? Check out these Transportation Tips to learn the best ways to get around town.
Having fun while exploring the area during Move-in Weekend? Capture your exciting moments with a photo, and share it with us using #VisitMountaineerCountry! Happy adventuring!
Contact us to request to contribute to our blog.