Rock Climbing in Mountaineer Country, WV
Climb to new heights of outdoor adventure and see exactly why West Virginia is called the “Mountain State.” Mountaineer Country is home to hidden gems when it comes to rock climbing routes and bouldering opportunities. Home to West Virginia’s largest indoor climbing wall, Mountaineer Country is a bucket-list destination for anyone looking to conquer their next mountain.
Coopers Rock State Forest
Located on the Cheat River Gorge, Coopers Rock offers a series of sandstone cliffs and over a hundred bouldering problems scattered throughout the greater Coopers Rock State Forest. Climbers can enjoy year-round access to the forest, along with a mix of camping, hiking, and mountain biking opportunities to extend their stay.
Climbers can look forward to several top-rope climbs thanks to stiff grades along the sandstone cliffs. Climbs range between a 5.5 and 5.12 YDS, and can be completed with a group or with a guide. Find a complete map of all climbing areas online.
- Organic Matter: This 5.5 YDS route is beginner-friendly with helpful face holds and pockets along a left-facing flake. At 35-feet, this climb is a great introduction to trad climbing.
- Roof Traverse: Watch your head as you make your way across the horizontal crack of this 5.5 YDS climb.
- Mister Clean: Bring your finger-sized cams to this 5.7 YDS climb. This 25-foot crack in the Mister Clean Corridor is easy to spot but tougher than it looks.
- Squirrel Soup: Take on juggy and slabby arete when you tackle this 5.7 YDS climb.
- Copenhagan: Pocket and crimpy face climbing make it easy to make it to the top of this 5.9 YDS climb.
- No Bolts Necessary: Located in the Jekyll and Hyde Area, this 5.11a YDS climb is a bit of a two-faced challenge. After an easy start, you’ll soon wish that you brought along all of the cams that you own.
- Bat Eliminate: This 5.11a YDS climb is easy going up until you reach the sharp diagonal cliff face jutting out from the top. Hand cams are recommended for protecting the diagonal roof crack.
- Upchouca: Test your limits as you crimp and tweak your way through the first 15-feet of this 5.12a YDS climb. Complete the entire 25-foot route to truly conquer Coopers Rock.
Coopers Rock has been named one of the best bouldering sites in the eastern United States thanks to high-quality bouldering available throughout the forest. Climbers can simply follow along any hiking trail to come across a boulder ready to be conquered.
Plan your route with this complete list of recommended climbs and boulder problems at Coopers Rock State Forest.
Cheat River Outfitters offers family-friendly climbing excursions out to Coopers Rock State Forest. Receive coaching from trained climbers as you tackle beginner and intermediate rock climbing adventures. All gear is provided, including amazing scenery and life-long memories.
Snake Hill Wildlife Management Area
Just across the Cheat River Gorge from Coopers Rock, climbers and boulder seekers can find more challenges waiting for them at Snake Hill Wildlife Management Area. Hidden away just outside of Morgantown, WV, Snake Hill features some of the region’s lesser-explored sandstone climbing. Visitors can find a mix of top rope, trad, and sport climbing routes, along with over 90 bouldering problems to solve.
- Jacobs Ladder: This 5.7 YDS sport climb takes climbers through 35-feet of grainy rock. Bolts and anchors highly recommended for this climb.
- Keiths Arete: Baseball-sized pockets make it easier to climb this 5.7 YDS sport route.
- What Thu?: This 5.8 YDS sport route takes climbers up and over a ledge. Bolts and cold shuts are recommended for this climb.
- Handcrack: All hands on deck for this 5.9 YDS climb. This trad climb features a hand crack that takes climbers 35-feet above ground.
- Table Scraps: Prepare for a technical climb when attempting this 5.10b YDS sport climb.
- Wandering Crack: You can’t miss the iconic serpentine pattern of this 5.10b/c trad top rope climb.
- Free Bolt Rentals: Nothing beats a classic climb! Take on this 5.11+ sport climb for 50-feet of clean rock face with damp holds using perfect crimps and edges until you reach the overhanging ledge at the top.
Find a complete map of all climbing areas and bouldering problems online.
Gritstone Climbing + Fitness
Gritstone Climbing + Fitness is a world-class indoor climbing, yoga and fitness facility. Focused on community health and wellness, this state-of-the-art facility offers guided workshops and group events that are beginner-friendly and open to all ages.
Take on over 100 roped routes spread throughout our 13,000 square foot climbing wall. Choose between top-rope lanes, lead lanes, and auto belays, or test your skill in a speed climb. The climbing wall features varying levels of terrain and reaches as high as 49-feet above premium padded flooring.
Navigate your way across 3,500 square feet of custom-designed holds scattered across our one-of-a-kind bouldering wall. With holds as high as 15.5-feet above our premium padded flooring, climbers can push beyond their comfort zone with confidence.
Youth classes are available in the Learning Zone: a family-focused climbing space located on the second floor at Gritstone. This kid-friendly zone offers beginner routes on 29-foot tall climbing routes and 12-foot tall bouldering walls. Families are encouraged to climb together to inspire a love for climbing in their young kids and create lasting memories.
Shop Local Gear
Dick’s Sporting Goods
Conveniently located off I-79 in the University Town Centre shopping district, the Morgantown Dick’s Sporting Goods location is a climber’s one-stop shop for gear and apparel.
Gritstone Gear Shop
Left your chalk bag at home? Stop by the front desk at Gritstone Climbing and Fitness to restock on all your climbing gear and essentials so that you’re never left hanging. Go online to learn more.
Pathfinder of WV
Find everything you need, from chalk to crash pads, at Pathfinder of WV in downtown Morgantown. Browse our large collection of name-brand harnesses, ropes, carabiners and chalk bags, before setting out on your next rock climbing adventure. Go online to learn more.
Contact us to request to contribute to our blog.