Fishing and Hunting in Mountaineer Country, WV
Calling all fishermen and hunters!
Escape to an outdoorsman’s paradise when you plan your next trip to Mountaineer Country. The West Virginia Division of Natural Resources offers a variety of hunting and fishing options to residents and non-residents alike, including lifetime licenses that get you on the trail sooner! Explore options below and find everything you need to prepare for your next outdoor adventure in North Central West Virginia.
Mountaineer Country is home to hundreds of lakes, rivers, and waterways—each alive with wild fish and regularly stocked by the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources. Fishermen and anglers alike can expect to find a variety of bass, catfish, walleye and trout—including the highly sought-after golden rainbow trout, stocked regularly during the West Virginia Gold Rush.
Ready to cast out? Be sure your fishing license is up to date!
HOW TO BUY A FISHING LICENSE IN WEST VIRGINIA
Everyone ages 15 and older must have an active fishing license from the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources before casting out onto the water. West Virginia residents and non-residents can purchase their license online, in-person at any of the state’s approved locations, or over the phone by calling the Hunting and Fishing Unit at (304) 558-2758.
Annual and lifetime licenses are available based on the type of fish, fishing activity, daily creel limits, and age of the license holder. A complete list of available license options and fishing fees can be found online here.
Pro Tip: Purchasing a lifetime fishing license will ensure that nothing stops you from reeling in your next prize catch. And when you’re out on the water, be sure to have a form of identification with you at all times. To make sure you’re following all of the necessary rules, read a full outline of the West Virginia fishing regulations.
HUNTING AND TRAPPING
Set up your hide where rolling hills meet Appalachian Mountains. Hunter and trappers visiting North Central West Virginia can find a variety of game across various terrain that is both easily accessible and away from it all. But, before you hit the woods, make sure your hunting license is good to go!
WHERE TO BUY A HUNTING/TRAPPING LICENSE IN WEST VIRGINIA
Visitors and residents can purchase or renew their hunting license online through the West Virginia Division of Natural Resource’s website, in-person at any of the state’s approved locations, or over the phone by calling the Hunting and Fishing Unit at (304) 558-2758.
West Virginia offers a range of hunting and trapping licenses based on game and hunter type, as well as special rates for children, seniors, veterans/POW, and people with disabilities. Find a complete list of hunting/trapping licenses by visiting online.
Looking to bring home a trophy? The West Virginia Division of Natural Resources asks that all hunters check their game after each trip, using their license ID. Hunters can check their game online with the WVDNR, in-person with a local state agent, or by calling 844-WVcheck (844-982-4325).
PRO TIP: Know the rules before stepping into the woods. For a complete outline of all West Virginia hunting and trapping regulations, check out this resource from the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources.
PREPARE FOR THE ELEMENTS
Forget something? Find everything you need for your next hunting or fishing trip at any of our local, family-owned and big brand sporting goods retailers. Whether you need cold gear for winter or new tackle for the summer, you’ll find it in Mountaineer Country.
Check out these spots to stock up on all your gear needs:
- Defense in Depth: Located in Sabraton, WV, Defense in Depth is a one-stop-shop for firearms, ammo and accessories. As a best-in-class firearms training facility, Defense in Depth offers onsite instruction with the latest technology.
- Dick’s Sporting Goods: Located in Granville, WV, just off I-79 in the University Town Centre, Dick’s Sporting Goods national chain offering familiar brands and convenience.
- Dunham’s Sports: Located in Westover, WV, just off I-79 at the Morgantown Mall, Dunham’s Sports is a new addition to Mountaineer Country, offering a wide selection of outdoor gear and apparel.
- Hardcore Hunters: Located in Grafton, WV, Hardcore Hunters is a one-stop-shop for your hunting and fishing needs. Ask about Lakeside—their kayaking and watersports rental company.
- McFly Outdoors: With locations in Bridgeport, WV, and Fairmont, WV, McFly Outdoors is always there when you need them. This family-owned business offers carefully selected and abundantly stocked gear for all your outdoor adventures.
- Morgantown Powersports: Located in Morgantown, WV, across from Morgantown Municipal Airport (MGW), Morgantown Powersports offers high-quality vehicles and services at competitive prices.
- Pathfinder of WV: Located in Downtown Morgantown, WV, Pathfinder of WV is West Virginia’s largest independent outdoor retailer.
MAP OUT YOUR NEXT HUNTING OR FISHING TRIP
Don’t miss your chance to bring home your next trophy catch! Find waterways and fishing holes scattered throughout North Central West Virginia when you visit our Plan Your Catch resource guide. Find acres of hunting land at Dream Mountain Ranch and other outdoor destinations when you search our businesses.
Plan your trip to Mountaineer Country today using the VMCCVB Trip Planner App, available for free in the Apple App and Google Play store. Browse the area’s local hotels, gear shops, restaurants and scenic overlooks to create your perfect wilderness excursion.
And because we all know that every good trip has a story, we invite you to share your outdoor adventure story with us! Share pictures from your Mountaineer Country adventure with us by using #VisitMountaineerCountry and #MountaineerCountryYes on your social media posts!